10 Great Things To Do With Children In Edinburgh
Edinburgh offers an array of exciting things to do with children whatever the weather. No matter when you’re visiting the city or if you live here and are looking for some inspiration, you’ve come to the right place; we have put together a great list 10 things children love doing in Edinburgh.
- Where: Castlehill
- Looking for a lovely family-friendly holiday home? We think you’ll love 14/GF2 Panmure Place.
Situated next to Edinburgh Castle, Camera Obscura has been entertaining people of all ages for over 150 years! With several levels of interactive fun, amazing views over Edinburgh from their rooftop terrace, and the star of the show, their camera obscura, what better way to spend an afternoon with your family!
2. Take a Boat Trip
- Where: South Queensferry
- Did you know that all our family-friendly homes have a travel cot, a high chair, and children’s crockery!
What better way to spend a sunny day than escaping the hustle and bustle of the city centre and heading off on a fun adventure on the Firth of Forth! You can either hop on the train, bus, or drive a short distance to South Queensferry and board one of the various boat trips which will take you on a tour of the three bridges with the option to stop off and explore Inchcolm Island. If you do decide to hop off at Inchcolm Island, we’d highly recommend bringing a picnic to enjoy on the beach. We also think your little ones will love exploring Inchcolm Abbey!
3. Edinburgh Butterfly & Insect World
- Where: Melville Nurseries
- Located next to Edinburgh’s Royal Botanic Garden, 1 Eildon Street is the ideal holiday home for a family!
Located slightly outside Edinburgh’s city centre is Edinburgh’s Butterfly & Insect World. We’re sure your little ones will be awestruck by the world’s longest running indoor butterfly house with hundreds of free-flying exotic butterflies in an indoor tropical rainforest. They will also get the chance to get up close and personal with the daily animal handling and feeding sessions. Sounds like great fun to us!
- Where: Bonnington House Steadings
- Bruntsfield is a village-like suburb of Edinburgh’s city centre and the perfect base for a family visiting: 75/(4) Leamington Terrace.
Jupiter Artland is a fantastic sculpture park set in the 100-acre estate that surrounds Bonnington House. You and your family could easily spend a whole day exploring the extensive grounds. When visiting you’re given a map of the grounds and the location of the artworks and then you’re allowed to explore the park on your own. There are also horses, donkeys, sheep and a lama that the little ones will love to meet!
5. Gorgie Farm
- Where: 51 Gorgie Road
- Located near the picturesque Water of Leith Walkway, we think you and your family will enjoy staying at 20 Powerhall Road.
What better way to spend a day out with the family than a visit to Gorgie City Farm – a free-entry city farm. The farm boasts a range of different animals, such as sheep, pigs, goats, chickens and cows. There are also smaller animals such as hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, tortoises and a snake. If you live in a city, it’s a great opportunity for your little ones to learn more about farm animals!
- Where: 29 Marchmont Crescent
- Another great family-friendly home near Doodles is 36 Spottiswoode Road.
This is another great idea for a day out with the family! Doodles Ceramics is based in Marchmont and offers a unique opportunity for everyone to discover their creativity. No experience is necessary and in 3 easy steps, you can create your own work of art. What a great way to spend some quality time with the whole family!
7. The Yard
- Where: 167 Bruntsfield Place
- The Yard is an award-winning charity running adventure play services for disabled children, young people and their families in the east of Scotland. If you’re looking for something fun to do with your little ones on Sundays, why not head along to The Yard’s Sunday Funday! All families are welcome at The Yard to play in their adventure playground, get messy in their art room, roll about on the soft play, build a castle in the sandpit, ride bikes or just get outside and run around.
- Where: Dalkeith
- 4a Chester Street is a wonderful family-friendly home which also welcomes dogs!
Dalkeith Country Park is one of the best parks near Edinburgh! With 500 acres to explore, this is the place to go if you fancy a lovely, relaxing walk in the forest. We’re sure you’re little ones will have so much fun playing at their newly renovated Fort Douglas playground that you’ll struggle to drag them away from it!
- Where: Holyrood Road
- Fancy staying in the heart of Edinburgh’s Old Town, 12/3 Old Tolbooth Wynd may be perfect for you.
Sitting in the shadow of Arthur’s Seat and next to the Scottish Parliament is the futuristic and intriguing building, Dynamic Earth. Dynamic Earth gives you the chance to experience the primeval forces of nature as they shaped our planet, to journey through space and time and even go on a 4DVENTURE around the world.
- Where: Chambers Street
- Last but certainly not least, the National Museum of Scotland. We couldn’t write a blog on the top 10 things to do with Children in Edinburgh without mentioning this fantastic museum. With a maze of fascinating exhibits, a whole wing dedicated to stimulating and entertaining your little ones, a roof terrace which boasts fabulous views over Edinburgh, and the best bit is it’s free!