Meet Vincent Bell – A Fabulous Edinburgh Hairdressers!
Edinburgh is brimming with a range of wonderful independent retailers! This month, we’re very excited to share one business in particular with you, Vincent Bell Hairdressing. Located in Stockbridge, Vincent Bell was established in 1999 by husband and wife duo ‘Karen and Vincent Bell’. Over the years, they have developed a fantastic reputation as one of the most exclusive salons in Edinburgh!
We’ve got in touch with the lovely owners to ask them a few questions about their wonderful business, Vincent Bell. Also, it gets even better, they are very kindly giving away a haircut and blow-dry, so make sure you scroll down to the bottom to find out how to enter the competition!
1. For readers who haven’t heard of Vincent Bell, could you tell us a bit about your business and how it started?
We were working together as husband and wife at another salon for a few years, and it just seemed like a natural progression for us at the time. Vincent is an all around hairdresser and I love colour. He had always wanted to open his own salon so we took the leap. That was just over 20 years ago and we haven’t looked back.
We’re based on the corner of North West Circus Place and love the location. Stockbridge has such a special community atmosphere and we love being part of it. We’ve got a talented team by our side and our daughter is now also part of the business. We hope that when anyone enters the salon they feel very welcomed, as if they were one of the family.
2. What are the top 3 trends in hairdressing at the moment (for men and women)?
- Balayage is still a very strong trend in hairdressing, so much so that we believe it to now be a permanent colour application. It is the French word for ‘sweeping’ and while it started out originally on blondes, it now translates to all colours, shades and tones.
- Ponytails are on trend this year and with Christmas festivities fast approaching we will see more hair-ups in the salon. This year ponytails fall into two camps – super sleek high ponytails and looser, textured ponytails that sit at the nape of your neck. The second style is more popular with our clients as it has a timeless elegance to it and Victoria Beckham is a fan of this style.
- Men’s hair continues to be short and well groomed. Not overly sharp but not dishevelled. Think Jamie Dornan, George Clooney and Chris Hemsworth.
3. Do you have a few haircare tips for our readers?
Although trends are very important in our industry and we stay on top of them, for us it is more about style, not a passing trend. Your hair is very personal so every appointment is bespoke. The best haircare tip we can give anyone is to invest in the health of your hair. We all apply various skincare products and the same attention and care should be given to your hair. If you use the correct products, then you have a strong foundation of the perfect haircut and colour. The same is true for aftercare products. learning the right ones for your hair type and how to apply them is crucial. During your appointment with us we talk you through what to use, how to use and why to use specific products.
4. What does the rest of 2018 have in store for Vincent Bell?
We recently launched a mental health campaign called In It Together. This came about after a lady made an appointment with us for the first time in 10 years. She had been too anxious to visit a salon and this really made us stop and think about the experience. Everyone knows somebody with mental health issues and coming to a salon, which always makes you feel good, is something that we can take for granted. We have been working with a life coach to support our own team and have created a safe space in the salon for anyone that struggles to visit. We hope that other salons across the country will join the campaign at www.inittogetheruk.co.uk and we can raise awareness together.
5. We’re all about Edinburgh, so we’d love to know what your perfect day in Edinburgh would entail?
We love the city and live in the heart of it. For us it would start with a walk up Calton Hill with our dogs, followed by lunch at The Lookout. Vince would probably visit One Spa while I had a wander around Harvey Nichols. We’d then pick up some cheese and a bottle of wine from Villeneuve Wines, or depending what was on head over to The Dominion for a film.
(This competition is now closed.)
Win a Complimentary Haircut & Blow-Dry (worth £69.50)!
The competition runs from noon on Monday the 12th of November until midnight on Monday the 19th of November 2018. The giveaway is open to everybody over 18 in the UK. We will pick the winner within 24 hours after the competition has ended and contact the lucky person through the social media platform they have used to enter the giveaway. This promotion is in no way associated with Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
To be in with a chance to win choose from the options below:
Make sure you follow us on social media so you don’t miss out on our monthly giveaways!